Ohana attends her new school.
Which is fresh and exciting because unlike every other anime in existence, everyone here loves the transfer student– …oh wait. The plot had no major focus this episode as we meandered around and about so I’ll just blog this by bullet points.
• I feel bad for Ko.
Ohana will try anything to befriend someone who absolutely detests her, but she has yet to reply to Ko. I feel bad for the guy because we all know what it’s like to wait on someone we care about. We’ve all been there unless…
• Nako’s “amazing” feat in the previous episode is rendered even more pointless because it made little difference to her character development.
Here, you see her running away in embarrassment because silly Ohana was doing a thing in the school hallway. Better flush red and dash away like a dork.
• One loser says to another, “I can’t believe I’m in the same class as the two most popular girls in our grade!” His friend’s response?
Man, that is one of the most pathetic thing I’ve ever heard. Possibly second to only shower beer.
• The big development this episode was that Minko has a crush on junior chef Tohru.
When she was describing her ideal man, however, I couldn’t help but think she really just wanted to date an idealized version of herself.
• There was a short bit with Tomoe this episode. Look at that face:
We still don’t get to see much of her, but maybe it’s a good thing ’cause she’s freaking out over high school girls and their various courters. Clearly, a woman is worthless without a man and Tomoe doesn’t want to be worthless. What would people say!
• Ohana is scared of a bird.
• I drifted off during Nako’s talk about some festival. I admit it and I don’t really care.
• We waste a couple minutes on Nako and Ohana coming up with nicknames because that’s what BFFs do — sit around and think up nicknames for each other.
Anime girls are so carefree and only think cute things like whether to call their friend Minchi or Minchan.
• Near the end of the episode, Ohana thinks Minko saved her from having to deal with Tohru, but it looks like Minko was just jealous — add that to her list of flaws. Someone, somewhere, will say that Minko is justifably jealous ’cause she doesn’t trust Ohana, it’s her first love, blah blah blah. Just like how I heard it’s apparently okay for Minko to be a bitch because she’s only afraid that Ohana is here to steal her job. This is despite the fact that I’ve yet to see any sign that Minko’s employment is in any danger. What is it about black-haired anime girls that people will go to all lengths to defend?
If Minko was fat and/or ugly, would Ohana try so hard to befriend her? Some of you guys might say “Of course she would!” I wonder then.. would all the Minko apologists out there continue to justify her actions? Luckily, we don’t have to ask ourselves these questions because no young girl’s ever fat or ugly in anime unless the anime is making a joke at her expense.
• I wouldn’t say I cheered when Tohru picked up Yuina for a date… but I did think “I’m gonna stick ‘schadenfreude’ somewhere in an update.”
And I did. I should take smarter people’s advice and just stop watching this show.