…sibling love everywhere.
Episode summary: Gekkou enrolls at Subaru Academy and reconciles his oniichan. Meanwhile, Takeshi gets a brief course in Wizard Brace’s deep, dark past.
• Just look at this screenshot:
Look at all those parents getting involved in their kids’ education! Doesn’t it make you feel warm on the inside? Gosh, I can just imagine their words of encouragement: “Sweetie, you’ll be the greatest magician ever! Just be sure to study hard in this school that has such a low amount of security that students end up getting kidnapped and brainwashed left and right. And oh yeah, once you graduate, you have to go to war with a rival magic clan that’s hellbent on destroying everything you know and love… study hard!”
• Kurumi: “It’s just like the way we did things in our old world.” Thank God for that. It’s crazy enough that people can cast spells in Mahou Sensou. Could you imagine if the rest of the anime was different as well? I couldn’t. It’d be too scary. I might actually be interested in the show.
• Kazumi’s so impressed by the education he has received from Subaru Academy that he has decided to enroll his imouto as well.
• Kurumi whispers, “She’s so cute!” “Very cute…” agrees Takeshi.
Yo, we get it. She’s an imouto. She’s kawaii. You guys can stop giving her the rape eyes now.
• Kazumi: “I can’t deny that she’s cute, though.” Rest in peace, little sister. We knew ye well.
• But remember, you don’t gain magical powers unless you come into contact with magic. So how did Futaba manage that? Well, y’see, she was invited to a birthday party by a little boy. Y’know, one of her classmates back in the normal world. Her big bro, however, heard that she’d be the only girl at this little boy’s birthday party, so he forbade her from going. Oh right, did I mention that Futaba is still in elementary school? Mm hmm, her big bro forbade her from going to a birthday party hosted by a little boy in elementary school. Hey, he’s just looking out for his precious imouto, okay? And you can never tell with those sick freaks in elementary school! They might play pin the tail on the donkey! And we all know little boys’ birthday parties are way more dangerous than this magical academy she’ll be attending. So he and his sister got into an argument, and his magic somehow manifested itself. Voila! I can’t believe my little sister can be so magical!
• But forget about that for a second, ’cause here comes the big revelation. Slo-mo, please! Stunned expressions, please! ‘Cause it’s Takeshi’s kawaii otouto!
• Takeshi: “Then one day, something happened that I’d never expected.”
…he’s definitely grown since I last saw him…
…my heart pounded in my chest…
…forgive me, my lord, for what I am about to do.
The next thing we see are sakura petals fluttering through the air. I think we all know what happened that night.
• Magical training in action:
Madhouse’s really pushing themselves to the limit here with the giant, glowing octopus and students surfing to and fro. I sure hope they leave enough left in the tank for Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei. We wouldn’t want that anime to suck now would we?
• Meanwhile, in a separate location, Mui’s big bro asks her, “Which made you happier, Nanase’s gift or mine?” Haven’t you heard? When you keep it in the family, magic happens!
• Gekkou sees Violet-sensei in the hallway. He says hi to her. She just smirks. Top notch security and background checks at Subaru Academy, guys. I’d enroll my imouto in a heartbeat if I had one. It’d keep her away from those shady birthday parties.
• Ah, sibling love. “Stop checking on me during class!” Futaba whines, but we all know she’s asking for it, what with those pigtails and all. If imoutos didn’t want to their privacy impinged upon, maybe they shouldn’t look so imouto-y!
• Kazumi replies, “Why shouldn’t I come watch my cute little sister in action?” Yeah! Never stop watching all imoutos everywhere.
• That night, after Gekkou took a bite out of Takeshi’s fish, our hero gets a nightmare where Gekkou steals not just Kurumi away, but Twilight too. Oh no, not my sword-turned-pinku-haired-shoujo! I think the fish was a metaphor for Kurumi or something.
• So when Takeshi wakes up, he notices Kippei, one of the villains, hanging out by his windowsill. Kippei’s all, “Yo, wait up! I got a history lesson to teach you.” And Takeshi’s like, “I know you almost got my friends and me killed, but okay! Let’s hear what you have to say!” Then a really boring story follows where Kippei claims that the Wizard Brace clan used to murder and torture other magic users. We get the following exchange:
Takeshi: “Wizard Brace did that?”
Kippei: “Meowth! That’s right!”
Takeshi: “Well, gee, I have no reason to believe you, but okay, you have convinced me to doubt my teachers and everything they’ve taught me!”
• Then Kippei continues by telling a really believable story about Kazuma, the leader of the Trailers:
Wizard Brace: Join us!
Kazuma: Never! I refuse to be your pawn!
Wizard Brace: k ur parentz r ded
• Finally, Takeshi learns about the Great Battle of Tokyo Tower:
The Trailers realized how ugly the tower was, so they wanted to tear it down. But those stupid Wizard Bracer magicians stood in the Trailers’ way like the jerks that they are. And so a war broke out.
• Dun dun dun, according to Kippei, Takeshi’s mom used to be a wizard too. In fact, she’s the original owner of Twilight! I told you guys… this shit runs in the family.
• Takeshi: “Why are you telling me all of this?”
Kippei: “Because I’m trying to recruit you, obviously! Jesus Christ, what do they teach you kids here? Nothing, apparently.”
• And just like that, Kippei’s gone and Takeshi wakes up again. Was that a nightmare, or was it real? I’m at the edge of my pants here!
• The following morning, Takeshi decides to have a talk with Momoka just as Kippei had suggested. And boy, Kippei was right! Takeshi’s mom was a wizard. Then does that mean Wizard Brace did murder Kazuma’s parents? Takeshi freaks out and storms away from Momoka’s office. The school’s headmistress, however, just stands there, thinking to herself, “To expect him to judge the Trailers righteous simply because he’d glimpsed the darkness of Wizard Brace’s hidden past would be foolhardy.” Wouldn’t it? Therefore, I should just do nothing and let one of my students scare himself shitless. I mean, I could go after him and make sure he doesn’t do anything reckless. I could clear the air and alleviate his confusion. But… naaaaaah. Why bother? ‘Cause “[i]n the end, each person must decide himself” with no help whatsoever from the adults at this school! The best school with the best education led by the best teachers and administrators! Only here… at Subaru Academy! Call now to receive an informative brochure!