Now she’s ruined for marriage! Thanks a lot, Bizon. And at her father’s funeral too. Geez, dude.
Episode summary: Bizon makes a move on Hina, but she rejects his advances. When Hahn mind-controls Hina into becoming a Coupling pilot for Zogilia, Bizon thus offers himself up to be Hina’s Buddy even though he has laughably poor compatibility with her. Seriously, learn to take a hint, dude. As for the Alliance, now that they’ve lost two invaluable Coupling mechas to the enemy, they will launch an operation to destroy a secret Zogilian weapon. In fact, they’ll even send our heroes their replacement mechas. Aoba and Dio will just have to retrieve said mechas in the middle of a dangerous battle. Strategic planning!
• As expected, Dio now believes Aoba’s time-traveling claims. I still sort of think last week’s reckless Coupling attempt was a rather convenient way to make these two characters bond instead of just having their friendship naturally develop over the course of the series. It would’ve been more poetic if, at some point, Dio thinks to himself, “Aoba may or may not be from the past, but it doesn’t really matter because he’s a true friend.” Instead, he’s forced to experience Aoba’s memories, and I think that’s a bit of a cheat.
• After the OP, we are treated with yet another funeral. This time, we’re paying our respects to Hina’s father, i.e. the late Ryazan. Man, even at just a paltry count of two, this anime has had more funerals than a lot of other shows combined.
• Where’s your tact, Bizon? Are you really going to interrogate Hina at her father’s funeral? Yeesh, these yanderes have no manners. Ryazan may not have been Hina’s real father, but still… On the flip side, I’m not exactly sure what Hina’s thinking either when she tries to tell Bizon that she has no particular connection with Aoba. Yo, I was just chilling with an enemy pilot in a random corridor. C’mon, don’t tell you’ve never sat down and had a casual conversation with the enemy, Bizon!
• Oh god, he’s going to snap:
In response, Hina reveals her time-traveling theory to Bizon as if he would believe it. Again, I’m not sure why she doesn’t just think she’s an orphan from this time period. Nothing in Ryazan’s story remotely suggests that Hina’s from the past, so the theory hinges completely on Aoba’s claims (even if we know that they are true). Predictably, Bizon finds all of this ridiculous.
How do you explain this cat-shaped hairpin then, Bizon? How! Yeah, you can’t! This hairpin that I don’t remember ever owning is irrefutable proof that I’m from the past!
• But man, Bizon’s eyes during these scenes are crazy. Look at all that eyeliner in the previous two screenshots. Someone’s a big fan of Sephora.
• Oh right, only Bizon would forgive Hina’s offense. Uh-huh. Common abuse tactic: isolate the victim from his or her friends. Make the victim depend solely upon the abuser for help.
• Unsurprisingly enough, Hina’s the only Zogilia pilot who has any aptitude for Coupling. But if she’s unable to find a partner, this project will be rather short-lived. And oh no, Hahn gives us the evil stare as he injects Hina with some unknown fluid (not that fluid, sicko). As if it isn’t bad enough that Bizon’s gone all yandere, I wonder if Hina’s gonna get mind-controlled at this rate because she’s reluctant about becoming a Coupling pilot for Zogilia. Ah well, if she does truly become mind-controlled, the power of love will triumph over all and return her back to normal (see: every anime ever). We’ll just have to wait and see how long it’ll take Aoba to rescue our poor maiden if this turns out to be the case.
• So a commenter was right: the Coupling performance in the old-type mechas is stronger than what you’d normally get from the current models. And since Aoba and Dio are the protagonists of the show, I’m sure they’ll find a way to overcome the dangers inherent in this sort of Coupling.
Oh I’m sure they can. Now, if only the old-type mechas weren’t so clunky looking.
• Oh look, Hina does get mind-controlled. And like in every anime ever, being mind-controlled means your pupils are dilated:
And you have to speak in a monotone voice. I mean, you wouldn’t want to confuse the audience, would you?
• So even though Bizon has poor compatibility with Hina, there’s apparently no other option in the short-term when it comes to finding a suitable partner for our mind-controlled lass. As such, our yandere volunteers himself to become Hahn’s guinea pig. Oh dear, his mind’s just going to break even more. I don’t get the rather upbeat music in the background as the guy’s screaming in pain though.
• Oh hey, the new-type mechas are already on their way… on their way to the middle of a battlefield. That’s some brilliant military planning right there. Guys, we just lost two of our invaluable Coupling mechas. Let’s, uh, send the replacements to a place where they can also be easily stolen or destroyed. Look, those pilots are talented, so I’m sure they’ll have no problems dealing with whatever random contingency pops up.
• Zogilia has been secretly building a giant fuck-off cannon in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness, but the Alliance know all about it because many Bothan spies gave their lives to deliver this information:
The heat map looks suspiciously like a woman’s reproductive system.
• Dio and Aoba have a conversation about the upcoming battle. I have no real bone to pick with this scene. I actually think this is a decent bit of dialogue between our two protagonists. Poor Mayu is in the background eavesdropping on them though. All this talk about protecting Hina can’t be too good for her psyche.
• Are we really gonna watch Margaret bungle yet another Zogilian operation? I guess we will.
• Did Hina just say she’s going to avenge Bizon’s father or is that a translation error?
• I like how Bizon can’t even discern the fact that Hina’s personality has been completely replaced with a potato. For a yandere, he doesn’t know the object of his affections all that well.
• That blast came from the
Death Star Gorgon! That thing’s operational! Good thing we sent the replacement mechas all the way out here where it’s safe!
• Uh, I think when you can see the laser beam coming right at you, it’s a bit too late to give the retreat orders, Lene.
• Thanks to the giant laser blast, the Alliance has now lost contact completely with the transport ship carrying the mechas. Gee, how could this have been prevented…
• That’s it for now. Tune in next week for when Hina inevitably returns to normal, but let’s be real: I’m only watching this to see how much further Bizon’s mind will break.