I should do these posts more often. If only there weren’t so many shows to cover. Hell, I’m still missing a few, but there’s only so much I can watch. As always, I rank these shows by how much I’m looking forward to them week-by-week. In other words, this list is not meant to be an accurate reflection of how I would rate these shows’ quality, which is something I’d never be interested in doing anyway.
18. Little Busters (Prev: 16)
• There are people who find this week’s opening funny. This fact of reality makes me sad.
• What on earth:
Can the anime be about Mr. Tinyhead instead?
• First, they gave us Ayu, but we said nothing. Then they gave us Fuko, but still, we stayed silent. Now, there’s a character so dumb, she plays “Guess Who?” by covering up her own eyes.
Is it possible to create a dumber female character? Actually, scratch that… I don’t want to know.
• Oh look, A military tactic!
Yup, no doubt in my mind that these kids are former Navy Seals.
• Fuck it, I’ll just read the plot summary for the rest of this episode on Wikipedia.
• That’s right, I’m putting this show below the harem anime with incest.
17. Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne! (Prev: 17)
• A twelve year old girl shows up and everyone proceeds to creep or hate on her except for, of course, our pure pure boi hero. Oh yeah, she’s supposed to be his fiancee or something. Basically, would you rather be a pedophile or a sister-fucker? Oh, how anime poses such fascinating ethical dilemmas to rack one’s brain over.
16. K (Prev: 15)
• Sigh, look at that character design:
It’s like something out of a teenager’s imagination.
• Someone asked me what I now think of K. To be honest, I don’t think anything of it. There’s no reason for me to care. JoJo‘s all about stopping a great evil. SAO‘s execution sucks, but it’s at least about a guy on a journey to save the love of his life. Shinsekai Yori paints a (sometimes) compelling picture of dystopian society. PSYCHO-PASS paints another picture of the same idea. Why, you ask, am I rattling off premises left and right? Because I can’t do the same for K. Uh, Shiro is accused of murdering someone from a clan, so a bunch of people are after him. He initially thinks he’s innocent, but now he has doubts? And Kuro is supposed to kill Shiro if he’s determined to be evil, because Shiro is next in line to become the Colorless King? Okay, well, who gives a fuck?
15. Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! (Prev: 12)
• There’s that bullshit purity thing again:
• Lessee, what did I write nearly two months ago? Ah, that’s right:
I would probably have to see why Rikka prefers to play in her fantasy world as opposed to acting like a typical teenager, but I’m bracing myself for a potentially corny backstory full of tears and angst.
And a corny backstory full of tears and angst is exactly what I got. Unfortunately, there isn’t enough pathos in this episode to balance out the fanservice.
14. Space Brothers (Prev: unranked)
• Holy shit, look at Mutta’s shadow:
Unfortunately, I don’t have anything else to say about the episode. This show has a premise that I should be interested in, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Every episode is jammed pack with sentimental flashbacks and hopeful violins. It’s enough to put me into a coma.
13. CODE:BREAKER (Prev: 11)
• So much for murderous heroes and conspiracies involving Diet members. We now have a wacky anime that includes a guy who can transform into a chibi version of himself and a cat-loving weirdo who runs around on all fours. Nyan~
• Wow, cat dude fights by screaming sonic energy at his opponents. That is… super lame.
• This show so obviously wants to be a reverse harem, yet it insists on masquerading as a shounen. Unfortunately, it does neither well. The “pretty boys” are actually butt ugly, and none of them have any charm whatsoever. Meanwhile, the action is about as exciting as watching Pokemons do battle. If you’re truly a reverse harem, don’t be ashamed of who you are! There are so many harems and quasi-harems out there, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if another reverse harem shows up to the party. Be true to yourself and come out of the closet!
• Our awesome Mary Sue heroine saves the day by inexplicably blocking a super powerful attack just because she’s special. Kewl.
• The Prime Minister has just been kidnapped! Are you a bad enough dude to save him?!
12. Sukitte Ii na yo. (Prev: 10)
• The leading couple would make the dumbest babies ever.
11. Zetsuen no Tempest (Prev: 9)
• Welp, this show can’t get any worse, right?
10. BTOOOM! (Prev: 7)
• What’s that four letter word that starts with an “R”?!
9. Robotics;Notes (Prev: 14)
• Ooh, we have a bit of a murder mystery developing. The scenes involving Kaito and his investigation are passably interesting. Everything else continues to be as boring as all hell though.
• Yes dad, I’ll totally quit building robots so I can haul fish instead… said no kid ever.
• Y’know, if Subaru was merely collecting robotic figurines and jerking off onto them, I could understand his father’s extreme reaction. Subaru’s helping to design a fighting robot with an advanced AI though. As dorky as I still think that sounds, it’s also incredibly impressive at the same time!
• Yo Subaru’s dad, you do realize that there’s more of a future in robotics (and potentially engineering) than fishing, right?
8. Sword Art Online (Prev: 5)
• How many more side quests can Kirito undertake at this point?
7. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (Prev: 2)
• Things are starting to get kind of repetitive.
6. Ixion Saga DT (Prev: 4)
• It’s the hot springs episode! But with a twist… y’see, the hot springs will increase a person’s libido to the point that, uh, our poor Kon finds himself with a raging hard-on for no reason whatsoever. He’s initially unaware of this crucial fact though, so he naturally concludes that he’s being turned on by Sainglain.
His reaction seems a little hyperbolic to me. It’s fine to be a heterosexual and everything, but is it really that much more preferable to be turned on by a rock or a bucket than another human being?
• If you want to watch an anime where the villain screams at his dick to get hard, this is the episode for you.
• Kind of a lame episode though.
5. Kamisama Kiss (Prev: 8)
• This show wins the dubious honor of just being alright.
4. Shinsekai Yori (Prev: 6)
• Apparently, people are raging over this week’s episode? You’d think breast-groping yuri (second base) would more than make up for tongue-wrestling yaoi (first base), but from what I’ve been hearing, I guess not.
3. Magi (Prev: 13)
• Sin’s been robbed clean, but they didn’t take his earrings? How thoughtful of the bandits…
• Oh, I should’ve guess that Sin was short for Sinbad. Heh, I remember when the only Sinbad I knew was the bad comedian from the 90’s.
• I’m not sure why Aladdin is all “I’m sure it’s not our Alibaba.” Why not? The Fog Troupe sound pretty awesome on paper to me. Sinbad offers a rather cynical take on our chivalrous thieves: “But I think the thieves may only [distribute the money they steal to the people] to make their crimes seem justifiable.” C’mon, when you have fat merchants living in extravagant homes and starving people in the streets, who are the real thieves here? But that’s the problem with trying to espouse a radical message in a visual medium from an ostensibly conservative country.
The characters know that the people need help more than the money-grubbing upper class: “If you don’t feel that [the rich] deserve [your money], then you should take it back.” Uh, that’s exactly what the Fog Troupe is trying to do? Sinbad goes on to say, “But you shouldn’t take lives,” but that’s hilariously naive. You think the rich would just be willing to tax the poor less without putting up a fight? Meanwhile, a woman is so malnourished, she can’t even produce breast milk to feed her emaciated baby. We have the same problem here as we did in The Dark Knight Rises, where the stupidity, you could argue, was even more rampant.
• Still, Magi is currently more interesting than I ever thought it would be.
2. JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures (Prev: 3)
• Nearly wins by default…
1. PSYCHO-PASS (Prev: 1)
• …what more can I say?