Aldnoah.Zero Ep. 7: With our powers combined…!

Aldnoah Zero - 0701

…hm, I thought teamwork would look a lot cooler than this. Anyway, I’m gonna blog this week’s episode with just notes, ’cause it contains mostly action. I usually only do paragraphs if there are any significant topics I want to explore, but I couldn’t find any in this week’s episode. That doesn’t mean the episode is bad or anything, mind you. I’m just sayin’…

— That’s a pretty extensive recap at the start of the episode. There goes about two plus minutes of valuable runtime.

— Saazbaum asks, “Why do you believe he made use of the audience chamber?” This question seems to take Cruhteo a bit by surprise — like this is the first time he has even considered it. That’s a bit silly, don’t you think? I don’t know, it just makes it seem like Cruhteo’s kind of dumb. Shouldn’t Slaine’s motives be one of the primary things to determine? Slaine’s been loyal to the Vers Empire this entire time. All of a sudden, he’s acting up. If I were in his shoes, I’d think something fishy was afoot.

— On the one hand, Slaine sounds a bit silly screaming like that in his sky carrier. On the other hand, a protagonist is actually displaying his emotions. Gosh, I don’t know what to think!

Aldnoah Zero - 0702

— More flashback funtime with Marito. For a second, I thought he would finally seize control of his nerves and lend a hand. I mean, c’mon, it’s the seventh episode of the season already. Plus, everyone’s been chipping in. Slaine provided the necessary distraction at the end of last week’s episode. Both Yuki and Inko are supporting Inaho. Hell, Nina’s not fighting, but at least she’s doing something. She’s doing something, man. What about you, old man? Do something! But no, we simply see a short flashback of Marito failing to save his best friend Humeray instead. When we later see troubled veteran again, he is passed out in his Kat…. sigh. And look, I have nothing against a traumatized victim of war. It’s a perfectly reasonable topic to explore. The problem is, I don’t think Marito’s character is being developed correctly. That’s all. He’s neither useful in battle nor are we even really exploring his trauma. The old man is simply there. Sure, the show is holding off on his character development, but until something significant happens with Marito, he is a wasted character.

— I’ve beaten the Inaho dead horse enough, so I won’t comment on his character until anything significant changes.

— Did Asseylum render herself temporarily deaf for the time being? No, no she did not. We see her talking to Eddy later without any side effects, so I’m not quite sure what the significance behind the “Cover your ears!” scene was. Also, both the princess and Inaho find themselves glancing at each other every once in a while. What are we building up to here, and more importantly, will Slaine be happy about it?

Aldnoah Zero - 0703

— When we return to Inaho and crew, it’s already nighttime. Our heroes, however, are still busy shooting down those stubborn missile arms. At what point does Femianne decide that she’s just wasting her time? I mean, they’ve been at this for a while now. Why not cut your losses and return with overwhelming firepower? Why is she fighting alone? What are the rest of her clan doing if she’s out here by herself? I get the feeling that these Orbital Knights are too egotistical to ask for help. Like Vlad, she feels the need to fight her enemies all by her lonesome, but unlike Vlad, she thinks she can succeed where he had failed. Still, I await the day we meet a practical Orbital Knight, one that can match Inaho in wits and isn’t afraid to, well, require assistance. At the moment, we’re still stuck in the brawn vs. brains holding pattern. The Martians have overwhelming force, but due to a combination of stupidity and hubris, a trainee is kicking their ass. This was fine for the first encounter with Trillram. It was tolerable for the second encounter with Vlad. But the soul craves variety, and Femianne isn’t scratching that itch.

— Plus, if a significant amount of time really has elapsed — and again, it is now nighttime when it previously was not — then what has Slaine been doing in the interim? A sky carrier is constantly on the move, however, unless he decided to land his aircraft somewhere… which he hasn’t. I find it hard to believe he’s been flying around and around this entire time, though.

— Oh lord, the good guys stumble upon a Martian Kataphract deep within the Tanegashima base, and it’s the same one in Marito’s flashbacks:

Aldnoah Zero - 0704

And of course, he has recovered enough to tell everyone all about the damn Kat. He’s got a captivated audience, so why waste it! More importantly, however, I wonder which of our protagonists will get to take command of this special toy. Not only that, whoever it is will need the princess’s blessing.

— Yes, the higher-ups buried Marito’s Tanegashima Report to keep this Kataphract a secret, but then why just abandon the damn thing? I assume they couldn’t operate it, but still, why wouldn’t Earth’s best scientists simply take it apart and try to copy the technology, then? Or is Martian technology just too advanced for Earthlings to reverse engineer?

— Something offscreen then grabs everyone’s attention, but alas, we must return to Inaho and crew. Dammit Inaho, just finish use your Gary Stu powers and finish this damn battle already. I want to get back to the secrets of Tanegashima base!

— I don’t really understand Yuki’s problem. Slaine’s been fighting alongside them this entire time, but still, she goes, “Nao, stop it! He’s a Martian–” Lady, what else would you suggest he do? The guy said it himself he has nine rounds left until he’s completely defenseless. C’mon, I just wish the side characters in this show would show some common sense.

Aldnoah Zero - 0705

— According to Slaine, “[t]he Hellas’ fists can transform into singular macromolecules,” so as a result, “[b]ullets won’t scratch them.” Haha, what?

— Grooooooan:

Inaho: “Patch me into the signal from your stabilizers.”
Slaine: “We use different systems!”
Inaho: “That’s fine. I can figure it out.”

— Femianne apparently names each and every single one of her missile arms. Instead of cats, I guess she’s crazy about missile arms.

— I like the use of the insert songs, at least. I mean, there was that one time I didn’t; I thought it was pretty silly to play an insert song as millions of people went up in flames in the first episode. But since then, the insert songs have added some excitement to the action.

— With Inaho and Slaine on the ropes — I know, it’s hard for me to believe too — a Martian battleship emerges from the Tanegashima base, and it’s powered by no other than Princess Asseylum herself.

Aldnoah Zero - 0706

I like how the ship can sit around for fifteen years, but still operates perfectly fine without any sort of maintenance required. But back to the princess, I guess she’s done hiding her identity to the world. Even so, Darzana and others seem to look at the girl with some distrust in her eyes. We already know Rayet doesn’t trust the princess. This is what interests me about Aldnoah.Zero. I won’t deny the action’s pretty well done. Unfortunately, the characters have been pretty flat ever since the series started. The drama between and within the various factions is thus the only thing left for me to pin my hopes on. Earthlings can’t help but see the Martians as their enemy, and can you blame them? Still, Asseylum is a very powerful chess piece. I can’t help but wonder if her guilt will allow others to manipulate the girl into being someone’s unwitting pawn. And eventually, Rayet’s involvement in the princess’s assassination will come to light, too. I can only imagine how that will play out.

— And just like that, Femianne is dead. Was she the only female Orbital Knights? I also find it a little disappointing that these Orbital Knights are just enemies for our heroes to take down. Between the three that we’ve seen — Trillram, Vlad, and now, Femianne — they have no discernble personality. Even Cruhteo and Saazbaum are hardly all that different from each other. Bad guys need to be interesting too, you guys.

— Ah, how could I forget all about it! Now that the immediate threat has been dealt with, Inaho and Slaine can fight each other for Asseylum’s approval! That’ll be exciting! Asseylum can’t be happy to see them shoot at each other, though.

32 thoughts on “Aldnoah.Zero Ep. 7: With our powers combined…!

Dude,right after ep.03 this show is done for. I mean it became utterly stupid right after that and pretty close to mahouka level serously.

2. akeem

Had to catch up from episode 4 and I gave up on Marito by the end of it. My gosh what a waste, especially in a show where if you aren’t into inaho you want at least one interesting character to like but there is none. They should have left the writing to gen I’m sure he wouldn’t have made it a one man show. Even kirito’s trauma in episode 6 was better done than this. He saw the laughing coffin mark, was shaken up, managed to pull through his fights and fell apart after. I mean he fought in episode 2 but now when the kids are out there fighting in front of him he cant pull it together long enough to go out and help? Man at least fire a few shots before you freeze up. Inaho’s sister too, damn I wish she would contribute more. Sure she helped and has an injury but come on man. Is everyone just going to be useful because inaho is there?

It’s funny how they all knew what did what in that battleship and how to operate it. The princess couldn’t have told them all that in such a short time. I don’t mind the Martian mechs and seeing as how they have aldnoah and vastly superior tech I think it’s pretty realistic that they work alone. They all can’t be like that though and how is it that they only run into knights? What about soldiers?

I really like this anime but it can be a lot better.

3. SP

Who knew that after three very strong opening episodes Aldnoah would turn out be just slightly more tolerable than trash like Mahouka within 4 or 5 more episodes.

4. John Barnes

Also doesn’t help when the villains die in embarrassing ways for a mecha. This gal got run over.

Ehhh… I didn’t start watching this series and I doubt it will. The only reason I kept watching Captain Earth was Hana in a pilot suit and that is now over.

God, Build Fighters Try cannot come soon enough!

Is this really a problem, though? I don’t really care how Femianne died.

1. John Barnes

It’s not necessarily the fact that Femianne got ran over but the idea that the villains present themselves as nigh indestructable, and then they die in pretty stupid ways that don’t generally involve the heroes. Sorta throws a wrench into the whole “Take these guys as threats” kind of deal since you’ll know they’ll die at the end of the episodes. Sucks that this show has 24 episodes… this line of process means this is going to just drag and drag and drag.

Of course, the villains have no depth… as you said, the Martians are clearly the bad guys and need to be eradicated in order for the rest of humanity to survive. Though, that is kinda sad in a way where a show decides that one group of humanity must go extinct in order for another to survive, even if the Martians are just plain evil and selfish creatures.

But their deaths do involve the heroes! Inaho and Slaine buy enough time for the rest of them to get into a fuck-off battleship. And no matter how strong you are individually, you obviously can’t stand up against a battleship. I see nothing wrong with this. I have problems with the show, but this is not one of them.

5. heartstm

The lack of common sense on the part of the side characters is getting pretty tiresome for me as well. It’s enough that Inaho is some ascended tactical genius, but you don’t need to make everyone around him seem so one-dimensional.

Gen seems to have intended the show to have a much more complex cast of characters than it’s starting to, and on a related note it makes me worry about how Psycho-Pass season 2 is going to fare in the hands of a different writer. It doesn’t seem like people really know how to finish his unfinished work without just changing the story to suit their own preferences like this.

1. akeem

Why would they change writers though? Wasn’t the idea Gen’s or was he just given the premise and told to write? I realize you might not have the answer to a question like this but it’s better to try I guess.

2. heartstm

Wish I could tell you. It’s been a long time since I got the news about that, but if I remember right, it was partially his decision to pass the story on to another author.

Then again, it’s pretty clear from the open ending of the series that he intended it to continue. So who knows?

You might be able to find an interview with him about it if you google around a bit.

Eh, they’re still different teams. Production I.G might be a touch more capable. We’ll just have to wait and see.

6. Rae (@CSrae)

I’m getting serious flashbacks to Transformers during the teamwork battle orz.

Also, both the princess and Inaho find themselves glancing at each other every once in a while. What are we building up to here, and more important, will Slaine be happy about it?

It’s hard to guess exactly what Inaho is thinking during these moments … account of his lack of emotion throughout the series. I think Seylum is asking herself if she can do anything to help considering everyone is fighting despite low odds for winning.

I’m still holding out hope that this series will NOT have a romance subplot plz.

Now that you mention it, I think instead of Slaine deciding to join the resistance force he’ll probably be the final boss of the series. Out of all the Martians he seems to be the only one on the same level as Inaho. Then he will be redeemed by the power of FRIENDSHIP or something.

I’m also puzzled why it was nighttime but I’m going to assume that it was late noon and now it’s night (?).

I watched this scene over again but even then edited fansubs don’t make any sense. Maybe something was lost in translation…

Wait, you know what this means InahoXSlaine officially confirmed as canon :D

At least according to 100+ pixiv artists if I learned anything from anime and rivals.

I did find it funny when they had the last minute convo where Inaho finally shows a little emotion after 7 episodes.

I wonder if we’ll have enough time to cover Slaine’s background story too.

I’m still not sure if it’s 2-cour or not, but if it is, I bet it will.

In fact, maybe a romance subplot will be the only way we get some emotion out of that kid.

7. mrfatso

I just hope that one day, inaho and slaine resolved their differences, right now, it’s like both of them do not trust each other, and that they consider each other trying to make use of the princess for selfish reason..

8. Gene

I am pretty sure Rayet was never drafted for the war, so why is she in a mech stealing a kill? And they sure did get the hang of martian technology really fast. Seems they get some brains when the plot demands it. And another martian bites the dust after putting up another pitiful fight.

9. Lordreynolds

I find it amazing that, although apparently noone can actually create/build/activate the aldnoah drives, the Earth side has not only build the engine they do not understand (and clearly they do not because everyone is totally surprised everytime the orbital knights pull another stupid gizmo our of their bag of reatrdation+6 ) and cannot operate but also bothered to build a COMPLETE FLYING BATTLESHIP all around the engine they cannot even testrun!

And the fucking thing works! Flawlessly. And can apparently easily controlled by people who found it 5 minutes ago…..

1. Rae (@CSrae)

Umm, I think you’re missing the point. We’ve already established in the beginning how humans have colonized Mars in the past decade using SECRET alien tech which allowed them to believe they were superior to regular people.

So far the plot is still functioning within the world’s rules because we don’t know what exactly Adonoah Zero is and how it works yet.

10. opa

Fuck it, this show is shit apart from the battles. Characters are shit.
    Gen Urobuchi did 3 strong episodes then Katsuhiko Takayama & co. began the motherfucking sinking.
    Now I seriously hope this won’t be split cour.

Bloody Gargantia was better than this and it also had minimal input from Urobuchi.

God save Psycho-Pass 2nd season where it’s known Gen won’t do a single episode.

11. A Day Without Me

Well, bro, if Turn A Gundam can have a Gundam that’s been encased in rock for at least two thousand years be able to power up and start moving right away, fifteen years is mere child’s play, isn’t it?

In all seriousness, I think my patience is gone for this show. The last few episodes have felt like the same thing again and again and my ability to tolerate Inaho has completely evaporated. I think its too bad since there’s a lot in the premise that one could’ve sunk their teeth into, but the execution has felt pretty flat. So it goes.

As if I watch Gundam!

12. Lordreynolds

Acrually, build fighters is a fun watch since they take up al lthe tired old gundam tropes and mocks em.
    Because fuck gundam 00, age and the seeds. How boringly bleak can you try to get.

And the action is fine.

13. Good taste

Despite the many problems I have with the show I still find it fun to watch. Why are people suddenly comparing this to Mahouka? Seems ridiculous.

1. SP

You can also add side character’s lack of depth or how all villains seems to be copy pested. Although, it has something like good actiom & regular plot development, something that hasn’t happened in Mahouka for 12 friggi volume. But the rapid decline in quality of aldnoah is a thing to worry about, considering it was one of the few good anime this season & how strong it’s first three episode were.