Hoo boy, how do you even blog this episode? I’m not even sure that I can. Well, I’m just exaggerating. You know I’m going to dig up some words to say about this episode anyway. Still, 90% of the episode consists of nothing but William delivering an inspiring speech to his guild. No, seriously. They just sit there for nearly twenty minutes and listen to him drone on and on about how they shouldn’t give up. The other 10% isn’t much better. William’s speech resonated with Shiroe, and he wonders if he can be just as uplifting. Plus, he intends to tell everyone about his true goals, but we already knew this from last week’s episode. So the big question is… was William’s speech even good? Well, I don’t know about that…
I can’t help but feel like they’ve dipped their pen in the antisocial well one too many times. Like both Akatsuki and Shiroe, William turned to Elder Tale to shore up his weaknesses. As one might expect from a stereotypical MMO lifer, the guy had trouble making friends in the real world. Over time, he even grew to resent it. You can just feel his disdain in his words for not just the real world, but himself as well. Naturally, he turned to Elder Tale to help shore up many of his personal weaknesses. The game helped him find people that he could relate to. The game helped him make friends. The game gave him something to be proud of. Blah blah blah. It’s a familiar tale… one that we hear a little too often.
Despite being an MMO player myself, I’m not actually sensitive about the portrayal of MMO players in this anime. I don’t really care, to be honest. Rather, I just think what Log Horizon has done here is boring, because these characters’ sad tales all follow the same pattern. It’s also a bit lame, because we had just seen Shiroe’s story last week. As such, it’s still fresh in my mind, and here I am again, listening to yet another guy go on and on about how Elder Tale has helped made him a better person. Not only that, Akatsuki’s own fall and subsequent revival was just a few short weeks ago. As a result, I can’t help but feel as though I’m being bludgeoned over and over the head with the same basic story over and over.
Anyway, people want to give up, because they think the situation is hopeless. No one really complains, however, that it is actually physically painful to wipe in this game. Why do I bring this up? Because this is the excuse that I keep hearing over and over. Oh, nobody wants to raid because it’s like real life! It hurts to die, blah blah blah. Well, it sure looks like these characters’ egos have been bruised, but no one seems to be complaining about any sort of physical pain. As such, I’m just going to assume that this isn’t really the problem or even a problem. After all, if it was actually painful to die, no motivational speech is going to keep me going, I can tell you that. Rather, they’ve simply lost hope, and sadly, this makes situation seem even sillier
After all, you’d lose hope if you’ve tried everything, but you still failed. You’d lose hope if you absolutely cannot win. Neither of these two statements really apply to our raiders, though. They haven’t done everything that they can to succeed. They’re underleveled, after all. But sure, maybe leveling is really super difficult. Well, they’ve only died once to this encounter. What kind of raider gives up after one loss? Again, this would all make sense if they were in great physical pain, but this isn’t what we see whatsoever. If they are actually in physical pain in the light novels, then so be it. I’m just talking about the adaptation, so my point still stands: Why give up if no one’s in real physical pain and you’ve only lost once?
Anyway, there’s nothing else that I really want to talk about. After all, the episode was all inspiring speech, but a familiar speech nonetheless. It’s hard to get too excited about something I feel as though I’ve seen before. But like with our raiders, there’s still light at the end of the tunnel. Next week’s episode will have our raiders tackle this raid encounter once more, so maybe we’ll actually see something new.