Somehow, the anime found a way to get these guys to strip down anyway.
Yui forces her way into Emo’s life despite his many protestations. This somehow involves feeding him ichigo daifuku and surrounding him with practically naked bishies frolicking in the rain. Eventually, Emo relents.
• Yui kicks things off by saying, “I thought club activities would help in learning to understand the human heart.” Meanwhile, she is the only human soul in the entire classroom:
• Clumsy tells us he would like to join a tennis club: “I’m especially interested in soft-ball tennis.” As oppose to… what? “Hard-ball” tennis?
• Apollon: “…I want to play hard-ball tennis.” Bishies, please…
• I then looked it up. Soft-ball tennis is apparently tennis played with rubber balls… w-why? It’s not like regular tennis balls are even hard to begin with.
• Clumsy then waxes poetic about soft-ball tennis: “It has a kind feel…” What on earth does that have to do with anything?
• Apollon then exclaims, “I’m going to experience my youth, too!” Yes, your “youth.” Mm-hmm, you’re just another spring chicken, aren’t you, Apollon?
• Meanwhile, Drunky hopes to join the gardening club. Flirty’s a smartass so he wants to join the “going home club.” Thor concurs. Then again, can’t really blame’em. What kidnap victims wouldn’t want to go home, y’know?
• In the distance, bishie Unky Emo stares longingly out the window. When pressed, the god of the underworld is interested in astronomy. Oh whatever. But wait, it gets better! He’s interested in astronomy, but he doesn’t want to join the astronomy club. That’s right: “I do not intend to participate in group activities.” And yet every soul that dies ends up in his domain…
• It’s sad, really. We always poke fun of harem leads for being bland, and unfortunately, the reverse harem lead is no better. Yui is so insanely boring, she alone would jeopardize human-god relations. Her lines consist of saying something upbeat, followed by a slightly sad moan every time one of the bishies disappoint her.
• Yui tells Thoth, the instructor, that Emo doesn’t like interacting with others. Sounds like a troubled student who could use some counseling! …nope: “What do you want me to do about it?” I dunno… your job?
• Oh shit, don’t you remember?! Thoth is a ticking time bomb. As a girl, you must know that you can’t spend more than ten seconds talking to the guy before he slams you against the wal-
COME ON AND SLAM, WELCOME TO THE JAM
HEY YOU, WHATCHU GONNA DO
HEY YOU, WHATCHU GONNA DO
SLAM, BAM, THANK YOU MA’AM
GET ON THE FLOOR AND JAM
• Again, someone’s heart out there goes all a-flutter when Thoth pulls this shit on Yui at least once in the last three episodes.
• …no? She’s a student here? Ah well, there’s no reasoning with Mr. Slam-Bam-Thank-You-Ma’am.
• Yui spies Emo chilling on a park bench. She then asks him, “What are you doing?” I dunno… chilling on a park bench? Oh right, he’s looking at stars.
• Again, Emo insists that she stay away from him even if he’s only doing something as innocent as stargazing: “Nothing good will come of it.” I can’t imagine anything bad that could result from stargazing…
• But Emo dramatically turns around as he declares…
• Nevertheless, the stubborn reverse harem lead insists on tagging along. As a result, storm clouds are brewin’. No, really, storm clouds are literally gathering above them. As soon as Emo gets out his telescope, rain starts to fall from the sky.
• It isn’t Old Man Zeus’s doing, though. Emo is just forever cursed by misfortune and dashingly good looks.
• Emo then says that he’ll head on home first, but he insists that Yui steer clear of him. Naturally, Yui isn’t going to do that. But nevertheless, she chooses not to follow him until he has conveniently disappeared from sight. This way, she can run around frantically through a forest, screaming his name an idiot. Shit, why didn’t you start following him to begin with? It’s not like the dude broke out into a sprint.
• And of course, in a matter of just minutes, a creek is flooded with storm water. It is thus a lovely bed for our heroine as she inevitably slips into it with a constipated look on her face:
• Predictably enough, Emo was there all along as he instantly saves her! What? Was he just dashing through the forest along with her, hiding behind the trees as she searched for him?
• Ahhhh, peep this exchange:
Emo: “I told you not to move.”
Emo: “This happened because you approached me. Do not hurl yourself at misfortune.”
Yui: “It was just a coincidence–…”
Hey, Emo even kinda looks like him…
• The next day at school, fangirls with really long, unkempt bangs show up to cheer Clumsy on:
• Seeing how everyone is flocking around Clumsy but ignoring Apollon, Moonshine says, “Is this what they call a stratified society?” Grumpy replies, “That’s my brother! You know some difficult words!”
• Elsewhere, Yui continues to stalk Emo. Emo swears that she’ll feel a pain worse than death if she persists. Therefore, “leave at once!” But regardless of their gender, harem leads are always known for their tenacity.
• For some reason, both Clumsy and Apollon proceed to pelt our heroine with their balls, interrupting the lovely conversation she was having with Emo. And then to top it all off, Drunky gives her a nice, quenching shower.
Wow, is this a JAV or what?
• Emo grimaces ’cause surely this is the pain worse than death that he had just warned her about!
• Their bodies are even oriented the same way you would encounter them in a dating sim:
• Drunky: “Hades rules the kingdom of the dead, so he experiences all kinds of disasters.” Um, that’s not how it works. In fact, did you know that Elysium is a part of the underworld? That’s right, if you were a good, little soul, you got to spend the rest of your afterlife in Elysium, which was pretty pleasant. There’s even the Isles of the Blessed within Elysium, which is like super-duper Elysium! So no, the kingdom of the dead isn’t all doom and gloom. But of course, this reverse harem doesn’t give a shit about that. We just want to sit around and fawn over these hot ass bishies and their vague connections to some other culture’s mythology.
• Yui wants to give Emo a slice of happiness, but gosh, how might we do that? Free him from this dreaded prison so that he can return to his realm and Persephone? No, we’ll bring him his favorite foods instead:
• Afterwards, the tsundere Emo spies a plate of rice cakes suspiciously. Yui insists, however, that they’re simply a gift to him. Ugh, fine, I’ll eat it… I guess.
• Emo: “The characters for rice cake mean ‘great fortune.’ Perhaps because the name is so far removed from me, it’s hard to describe my feelings when I touch them.” Right. First, chill out there, Emo. Second, how the fuck would the Greek god of the underworld know anything about the characters for the word ‘daifuku?’ Are you trying to tell me that the Greek god of the underworld is a weeaboo?
• Emo then flips his shit when he sees the unholy combination of strawberries and rice cakes… as if one could never imagine such a thing:
I love Yui’s blank stare in the first screenshot: “What is this shit?” Anyway, you take a strawberry, and you stick it in the rice cake. It’s not exactly rocket science. You can even go the extra mile and flavor the mochi with strawberries:
W-what is this alchemical monstrosity!
Emo: “Yes… The rice cakes are good, but the strawberries are… the icing on the cake.”
Emo: “I was making a joke using the ‘cake’ in rice cakes.”
Yui: “Oh… Well, that takes the cake.”
Emo: “Well said.”
• When Yui tells Emo how happy she is to see that he’s happy, Unky Emo suddenly reveals his left breast to her:
• But anyway, he’s got some mark on his chest…
I guess this is the reason why he’s all cursed and shit: “It’s a grudge. The grudge of the dead who have fallen into the underworld.” Emo here sure sounds more like Satan than Hades, but whatever.
• And just like that, Emo storms off again.
• We then see a naked Emo floating amidst an endless black void in a fetal position:
• So the girl then gathers up some of the nicer bishies, and they all force their way into Emo’s stargazing activities. Apollon then gets to ask air-headed questions like, “Gosh, how many stars do you think there are?”
• Alas, it begins to rain yet again!
• But with our bishie powers combined, we will… we will…. strip down to our swimsuits?
You guys shouldn’t have. No… really, you shouldn’t have.
• And somehow, we learn that the rain deliberately ignores Clumsy ’cause he’s the Norse god of light… Apollon is just some dork, I guess.
• And with that, the four bishies run off to frolic in the rain. Unky Emo, please… There’s a silver lining to everything. Can’t gaze at stars? Pfft, now you can gaze at your nephews’ glistening abs.
• Oh, the fun doesn’t stop there:
The four bishies then surround Emo, and attempt to rip his clothes off. The storm clouds suddenly go away, however, and we can definitely thank god for that.
• So uh, one question: how does any of this help Emo understand the human heart?